Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Trip to Disney World......

When I was 5, 1972, I took my first trip to Disney World!!  Mom, who was very pregnant with Anita, and I flew to Florida where we met up with Grandma Lil and Hundley.  They had driven down earlier to visit some friends.  We flew out of Lynchburg on a huge plane....well...it was huge to me!!  We made it to Florida.....I don't remember anything special about the flight or the trip....so I'm thinking it was uneventful.  Still....you would think I would remember my first plane ride a little more....

We walked into Disney, and just stood there looking.  WOW!!!!  (keep in mind, the park opened in October 1971....this would have been early 1972....Anita was born in June....)  It was breathtaking!!  We didn't even know where to start.  Luckily, there was an ice cream shop right there on "Main Street"....so we did what any smart person would do.....we got an ice cream cone, sat down and ate it, and just watched and looked.

I remember going to the haunted house.  I don't remember being very scared.....my favorite memory was when you come out....ghosts "sit" on your lap.  I had a ghost on my lap, Grandma had one on her lap....but mom didn't....well...she didn't really have a lap at this point....thanks to Anita!!  (grin)

Another memory that is vivid is a Chinese restaurant.  We had lunch, and I remember drinking the tea out of the tiny cups.  I loved it!!

We also went to the beach, and Hundley and I fed the sea gulls.  It was an awesome time with mom, grandma and Hundley.  Unfortunately, soon after we got back home, Hundley died.  I think they had planned the trip for me to have one last great time with him....and one last great time with mom before our lives would be turned upside down with the new family addition.....but that's another story for another day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment