Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Magic Purse

There wasn't anything extra special about the way it looked.....It was white whicker with a pearl handle.  The lining was ripped, and coming out.  So why was it magic??

Lester Hundley!!  He made it magic. 

"Hundley" was Grandma Lil's 3rd husband.  I was little when they married.  Hundley treated Grandma like a queen.  He bought her beautiful clothes, and jewelry, and took her on trips.  (And took me to Disney....see yesterday's post).  And he spoiled me too!! 

I don't remember when the magic purse showed up....I just remember whenever we visited, it would be sitting on the back porch, and would have a surprise for me....a shinny new silver dollar!  That was big money!!  I have a few that I saved.   It was a little difficult when we stopped by without calling first.....when we got there....Hundley would disappear....and after a few minutes he would reappear...and ask me if I'd been to the back porch.  I guess I always knew how the "magic" worked.  After Hundley died, mom said I looked at her and said, "My magic purse won't work anymore!". 

In my foyer sitts a secretary desk.  In my bedroom sits a cedar chest that matches the desk.  They were Hundley's.  Grandma gave me the desk shortly after he died.  The cedar chest, I got when she and Rick sold the house.  The desk isn't in the best of shape....it's missing knobs on the drawers, and the pencil drawer is missing all together.  The writing surface is all scratched and written on.....mostly by me, because I was too little to take care of it when I got it.  The cedar chest isn't the prettiest or in the best of shape either....it spent many many years in grandma's basement.  You could offer me millions for either one, and I wouldn't take it!  Every time I walk past the desk, or open the cedar chest I think of two very special people and wish I could have had more time with both of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment