Monday, January 7, 2013

Daddy's Girl



I thought I would take a break from the history lesson today.  As I've been thinking about what to write about, I was surprised to find most of my memories were with my dad.  This kinda bothered me.....at first......then it dawned on me......It wasn't that I love my dad more, or even

that he spent more time with me.  It was that mom was there with me everyday, doing every day kind of stuff....like going to the grocery store.....or cooking.  These memories aren't less important....they just didn't create "markers" in my mind....because they were every day.  My times with dad were special in that he wasn't there all day, every day.....he was working hard to provide a roof over my head, and food on the table.....So....saying all that.....there will be memories of mom, but probably a lot more of dad.

I am a daddy's girl....and I'm proud of it!  I was his first.  I've gotten to experience more than my sisters....he learned how to be a daddy with me.  (Notice I didn't say a father.....that only takes DNA....being a daddy is much, much, much more!!).

Now, we all (myself, Anita, and Audrey) have done our share of getting dad in some kind of trouble.  My infamous story goes like this.........

It was a beautiful fall afternoon, and dad decided it was time to "burn" the field.  We did it about once a year to get rid of the underbrush, and junk.....this was before we had a tractor to cut it....or the horses to eat it.  My dad is a little bit of a pyromaniac (I am too!!!)....so....it was time to burn.  However, I had heard on the TV that it was illegal to burn after 4 pm (or before, I can't remember......just remember 4 o'clock burn ban).....well, I told dad.  He didn't listen....and started the fire.  Well...the smoke caught the attention of the fire Marshall, and he stopped by to see what was going on.  Dad convinced him that it was an accident....and he was keeping an eye on it....had the hose ready, etc.  Well....the man hadn't even got back in the truck, when I had to do an "I told you so".  I came out of the house, and informed my dad I was right......the fire Marshall turned around, gave dad a look.....I don't remember exactly what he said....because the fear of my life ending was starting to enter my body.  I don't remember what happened next......I don't remember how much trouble I was in...It didn't matter.  Dad still loved me.....at that's all that mattered!!  No matter what stupid things we did (or will do) my dad will always love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment